How to cook a Turkey in your Caja China
Your La Caja China style La Caja Asadora Roasting Box is not just for roasting pig ! It has the ability to roast any type of food. You can use the following directions (provided by our friends at squidoo) to cook one or multiple turkeys at once:
1. Place turkey on top of the rack, breast down if cooking whole, or skin down if cooking split. Attach top rack using the 4 S-Hooks.
2. Place turkey inside the caja china stye roaster, skin or breast down, (attach probe from wired thermometer or insert meat thermometer here should you have one).
3. Cover your la caja china style Caja Asadora roasting box with the ash pan and charcoal grid.
4. Add 8-10 lbs. of charcoal and light up.
5. Once lit (20-25 minutes) spread the charcoal evenly over the charcoal grid of your caja china.
6. Cooking time starts right now.
7. After one hour, open the box by removing the complete set of ash pan and grid together and place it on top of the long handles.
8. Now flip the turkey(s) over, skin or breast side up.
9. After one hour (2nd hour) add 10 lbs. of charcoal.
10. After one hour (3rd hour) add 10 lbs. of charcoal.
11. Do not add any more charcoal; continue cooking the turkey until you reach the desired temperature reading on the thermometer of 175 f. Should you not have a thermometer, check the turkey after approximately 30 minutes. Cook until desired tenderness.
Return to Caja China style Recipes and Articles page .