How to cook a Turkey in your Caja China
Your La Caja China style La Caja Asadora Roasting Box is not just for roasting pig ! It has the ability to roast any type of food. You can use the following directions (provided by our friends at squidoo) to cook one or multiple turkeys at once:
- Place turkey on top of the rack, breast down if cooking whole, or skin down if cooking split. Attach top rack using the 4 S-Hooks.
- Place turkey inside the caja china stye roaster, skin or breast down, (attach probe from wired thermometer or insert meat thermometer here should you have one).
- Cover your la caja china style Caja Asadora roasting box with the ash pan and charcoal grid.
- Add 8-10 lbs. of charcoal and light up.
- Once lit (20-25 minutes) spread the charcoal evenly over the charcoal grid of your caja china.
- Cooking time starts right now.
- After one hour, open the box by removing the complete set of ash pan and grid together and place it on top of the long handles.
- Now flip the turkey(s) over, skin or breast side up.
- After one hour (2nd hour) add 10 lbs. of charcoal.
- After one hour (3rd hour) add 10 lbs. of charcoal.
- Do not add any more charcoal; continue cooking the turkey until you reach the desired temperature reading on the thermometer of 175 f. Should you not have a thermometer, check the turkey after approximately 30 minutes. Cook until desired tenderness.